a) Access to social services (ensuring, inter alia, protection of the right to health, housing, education, water and access to sanitation), including for migrant children in an irregular situation

riga latvia city

The state shall ensure the rights and freedoms of all children without any discrimination – irrespective of race, nationality, gender, language, political party alliance, political or religious convictions, national, ethnic or social origin, place of residence in the state, property or health status, birth or other circumstances of the child, or of his or her parents, guardians, or family members (Protection of the Rights of the Child Law, Section 3, Paragraph 2). This principle of prohibition of discrimination shall be applied also to migrant children, inter alia, regarding the right to health and health services, right to benefit from social security, right to education, child’s right to protection from all forms of violence etc.

The state provides social services and social assistance to Latvian citizens and non-citizens and aliens who have been granted a personal identity number, except for persons who have received a temporary residence permit.
Additionally certain types of social services and social assistance are being provided also for persons, who have received temporary residence permit:
1)       persons, to whom alternative status have been granted and the family members thereof have the right to receive the services of overnight shelters, shelters, information and consultation specified and the guaranteed minimum income benefit (for an adult – 40 LVL per month; for a child – 45 LVL per month);
2)       Orphans and children left without parental care who have acquired alternative status have the right to receive social care services and specific social rehabilitation services:
-        the social rehabilitation of persons with impaired vision and hearing;
-        the social rehabilitation of children who have suffered from violence;
-        the social rehabilitation in appropriate institutions for children who have become addicted to narcotic, toxic or other intoxicating substances;
-        technical aid for the persons (persons with continuous or lasting organism dysfunctions or anatomic defects have the right to receive technical aids if they have received an opinion of a medical practitioner regarding the need for the technical aids): 1. Disabled children under the age of 18 years; 2. Children for whom the technical aid is necessary to reduce or eliminate functional inability; 3. Persons with anatomic defects — a prosthesis or orthopaedic footwear;
-        the social rehabilitation of victims of the trafficking in human beings;
-        a support programme for children who have not been declared disabled suffering from coeliac disease;
3)       Victims of the trafficking in human beings, who are not European Union citizens, and the minor children accompanied by them have a right to social rehabilitation in the cases specified by the Law On the Residence of Victims of the Trafficking in Human Beings in the Republic of Latvia; the right to receive social rehabilitation services is also provided for victims who are EU citizens as well as for his or her minor children accompanied by the person (according to the Law on Social Services and Social Assistance).
The procedures by which social services provided by the local government are received shall be determined by the binding regulations of the local government. The local government in the territory of which a person has registered his or her main place of residence has a duty to provide the person with a possibility to receive social services and social assistance corresponding to his or her needs. With the aforementioned exceptions this local government’s duty refers only to Latvian citizens and non-citizens and aliens who have been granted a personal identity number.

State social allowances are provided for Latvian citizens, non-citizens, aliens and stateless persons to whom a personal identity number has been granted and who permanently reside in the territory of Latvia. All such persons have the right to state social allowances provided for caring for a child, if a personal identity number has been granted to the children thereof. Persons who have received a temporary residence permit in Latvia do not have the right to State social allowances (Law on State Social Allowances, Section 4, Paragraphs 1, 2, 3).

On January 1, 2010 the Cabinet Regulations „On the Procedure how the Expense of the Local Authorities are Reimbursed from the State Budget for Maintenance of Unaccompanied Minors in the Day-care Centre and on the amount of these Expenses” (adopted on December 22, 2009) came into force. The regulations define the procedure how the expenses of the local authorities for the maintenance of unaccompanied minor in the day-care centre are reimbursed form the State budget by the Ministry of Welfare.

Concerning the child’s right to health services the Medical Treatment Law determines which persons are eligible to receive health care services provided by the law (the amount of medical treatment services paid from the State basic budget and from the funds of the recipient of services):
1) Latvian citizens;
2) Latvian non-citizens;
3) citizens of Member States of the European Union, of European Economic Area states and Swiss Confederation who reside in Latvia in relation to employment or as self-employed persons, as well as the family members thereof;
4) third-country nationals who have a permanent residence permit in Latvia;
5) refugees and persons who have been granted alternative status; and
6) persons detained, arrested and sentenced with deprivation of liberty.
Children of the aforementioned persons shall have the right to receive free of charge the medical treatment services. Other persons shall receive medical treatment services for a fee.

 Childbirth allowance, childcare benefit, care of disabled child benefit, remuneration for the care of an adopted child, remuneration for adoption, State family allowance, as well as a supplement to the State family allowance for a disabled child, guardian’s allowance for a dependent child and remuneration for the fulfilment of guardian’s duties.

No comments